Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I Stand Corrected

After hitting "publish post" a moment ago, it occurred to me that I was wrong when I said I had no idea how to fix our current problems.  Well, I have ONE idea and it's not original with me, but hey, you have to start somewhere.

The Big Idea:  Tie Corporate Tax Cuts to Job Creation.

Very simple, really.  Company ABC hired 5 new workers (full-time, decent benefits).  Company ABC gets a tax cut for providing those jobs.

Company XYZ moves jobs to a third-world country, hides its profits in an offshore account, and/or pays its CEO a huge bonus?  No tax cuts for you.

Of course, you need demand in order for small businesses (the true job-creators) to hire more workers.  So be sure that unemployment benefits, TANF, food stamps, and other programs are funded.  It has been proven time and again that money poured into the bottom of the economy moves up, creating demand and jobs all the way up the economic scale.  Money poured into the top of the economy gets stuck in a bank account somewhere, enriching the possessor of that money (and his financial advisers), but benefits no one else.

Money is a creation and function of the government.  No one (let me repeat that, NO ONE) actually owns his money; it's a symbol of the economic system of the country.  Why should a tiny minority hoard so much of OUR country's resources this way?  After all, Generic Rich Guy did not get all of those resources on his own, and he owes a debt to the society that he used to build that wealth.

So there you go..... economic recovery in one easy step.  Please don't tell me that I'm the only one who thinks this is a good idea....?

No comments:

Post a Comment