Wednesday, May 25, 2011

What's a noble experiment?

A "noble experiment" was what my grandmother called something she was trying for the first time and she wasn't sure of a successful outcome. I've since found out that it also was Herbert Hoover's term for Prohibition, but no matter.

I'd come home from school and ask what was for dinner, and if I heard "oh, it's a noble experiment", then it'd be a new recipe or an... uh, interesting combination of leftovers.

Since I design knitted items without a pattern (I unravel a LOT), most sweaters are noble experiments - I don't know how they're going to end up, exactly.  Each sweater, sock, hat, or afghan is a journey.

And that's my life.  No real plan, no roadmap, just a general idea of the direction I want to go and faith that it'll work out in the end.  I never end up where I think I will, so I might as well enjoy the journey.


1 comment:

  1. I like your nobel experiments. Keep on cooking 'em up for us.

    ronaldo

    ReplyDelete